The Search for The New Pinoy Superheroes Mechanics
- Competition period is from December 20, 2017 (Wednesday) to March 14 (Wednesday), 2018.
- Open to all Filipino citizens, regardless of age and gender. All competitors under the age of eighteen (18) are required to submit a signed PARENTAL CONSENT FORM with their entry. Failure to comply may result in disqualification.
- Participants are required to e-register for free at the contest’s official website at www. pinoysuperheroes.com and agree to the contest’s mechanics and terms and conditions. Once this is accomplished, the entry form will be sent to the email registered by the participant.
- Submit accomplished entry form (and accomplished parental consent form if necessary ) in a sealed brown envelope together with the following requirements:
- A two (2)-page treatment with a story arc and synopsis of the character/s.
- A two (2) to three (3)-minute video trailer showcasing the character/s and a sample of an action sequence. Video content can be, but not limited to animatics, live-action and/or animation.
- A sketch of the design concept for the character as a normal citizen (if applicable) and as a superhero with costume/s showing various profiles.
- A list of names of the talents and crew involved in the pre-production, production proper, and post-production.
- Participants must submit the video with a minimum resolution of 720p HD/mp4 video format saved on a DVD- data disc or on a USB flash disk.
- Character/s, particularly the superhero/es must be an original concept that is unpublished and not posted nor streamed on any digital or print platform. Character/s directly derived from fictional or non-fictional protected property/ies will not be accepted. Any infringement of copyright is a basis for disqualification.
- Last day of submission of entries is on March 14, 2018 (Wednesday) not later than 6:00 PM (Philippine Time). Entries must be submitted personally or via courier to DV Tech Media Corp. office located at Unit 2A, Ave Center Bldg., 1760 Dian St., Brgy. Palanan, Makati City.
- The entries will be placed in a drop box located at the office’s storage, which will be sealed until the start of shortlisting.
- There will be ten (10) shortlisted participants to be chosen by a group of panelists from the media and comics industry. Shortlisting will be from March 15 (Thursday) to March 17 (Saturday), 2018.
- Finalists will be notified one (1) day after the end of the shortlisting and will also be announced online at comiccon.asia , https://www.facebook.com/ComicConAsia/, www.pinoysuperheroes.com, https://www.facebook.com/newpinoysuperheroes
- Final judging will be held on March 25, 2018 (Sunday) at ComicCon Asia 2018 located at the SMX Convention Center, Pasay City from 10:00 AM onwards.
- The ten (10) chosen finalists must be present or represented during the final judging and are required to bring a final illustration of the superhero/es’ design drawn on a ¼ illustration board to be presented at the final judging.
- The decision of the board of judges is final and irrevocable, with the approval of DTI.
- Criteria for the shortlisting phase:
- Character – 50%
The uniqueness of the characters, most especially the superhero/es. This also includes the distinctiveness of the powers, skills, strengths, and weaknesses of the superhero/es and/or villain/s. The superhero/es should embody the Filipino values, culture, and tradition.
- Storytelling – 30%
The theme is clearly defined and the plot is well-developed. The characters have great backstories, goals, and conflicts. The story is delivered clearly.
- Visual Execution – 20%
The creativity and technique of the participant in the art of filmmaking are visualized in the video. Part of the determining factor is how strong the video’s impact will be on the viewers.
Criteria for the Final Judging phase:
- Character – 45%
- Storytelling – 30%
- Visual Execution – 20%
- Final Illustration of the superhero/es design – 5%
- The complete and final design of the superhero/es’ look, form, costume, etc.
- Character – 50%
The grand prize winner shall receive one hundred fifty thousand Philippine pesos (PhP150,000.00) in cash.The first-runner-up shall receive fifty thousand Philippine pesos (PhP50,000.00) in cash.The second runner-up shall receive thirty thousand Philippine pesos (PhP30,000.00) in cash.The remaining finalists shall receive ten thousand Philippine pesos (PhP10,000.00) in cash.Twenty percent (20%) tax for the prize exceeding ten thousand Philippine pesos (PhP10,000.00) shall be paid by DV Tech Media Corp.
- Winners will be announced on March 25, 2018 (Sunday) at the ComicCon Asia 2018 to be held at the SMX Convention Center, Pasay City. Winners will also be notified via registered mail, e-mail, call, text message, and social media.
- The prizes will be claimed at the DV Tech Media Corp.’s office located at Unit 2A, Ave Center Bldg., 1760 Dian St., Brgy. Palanan, Makati City. The claimant should bring at least one (1) valid ID and the notification letter. If a representative will claim the prize, he/she should also bring an authorization letter signed by the winner.
- Claiming period will be until sixty (60) days upon receipt of the registered mail. Unclaimed prizes will be forfeited in favor of DV Tech Media Corp. with prior approval of DTI.
- Employees of DV Tech Media Corp. and their relatives up to the 2nd degree of affinity or consanguinity are disqualified from joining the entirety of the competition.
Terms and Conditions
- About Project X: The Search for the New Pinoy Superheroes
- DV Tech Media Corp. (“DV Tech”), together with its event partner ComicCon Asia 2018 (the “Partner”), (or collectively, the “Organizer”) is organizing Project X: The Search for the New Pinoy Superheroes (the “Contest”) starting in October 2017 and ending March 2018, when final judging would be made during the ComicCon Asia 2018 event.
- The Contest aims to give a platform for participating artists to create the new generation of original Filipino superheroes promoting the local culture and values, and is rewarded and recognized as creators of world-class Filipino superhero characters.
- The Contest consists of:(i) A competition/event for the creation of new and original Pinoy superheroes (the “Entry or if multiple Entries") submitted by participants (the “Participant” or collectively “Participants”) organized by DV Tech and its Partner from Oct. 2017 to Mar. 2018.(ii) A competition/event for pre-screening, final judging, and awarding of the winning submissions (the “Finals”).
- The Organizer will select a panel which will select ten (10) entries through a pre-screening activity after March 14, 2018 (deadline of submission) but before the Finals on March 25, 2018. The entries chosen will be collectively considered as the “Finalists”.
- At the Finals, a board of judges chosen by the Organizer will assess each Finalist’s Entry. There will be one (1) grand winner (the “Grand Winner”), one (1) 1st runner-up (the “1st Runner-Up”), one (1) 2nd runner-up (the “2nd Runner-Up”), and seven (7) or Consolation Prizes (“Special Merit”) for the non-winning finalists.
- By registering for and participating in the Contest, each Participant agrees to the Terms set out herein (as amended from time to time) and that all decisions of the Organizer in the Contest execution shall be final and binding. Registration to the contest is free.
- The Contest is open to all bonafide Filipino citizens, residing locally or in abroad, aged above 18 years of age at the time of entry, or those persons below 18 years of age that have a prior written consent of their parent or guardian.
- Employees and agents of the Organizer, including contractors or subcontractors engaged in connection with the development or operation of the Contest, and their relatives up to the 2nd degree of affinity and consanguinity are not eligible to join the Contest.
- To qualify for the Contest, each participant must:
- Successfully e-register for the Contest; and agree to the Contests Terms.
- Comply with the Terms and Contest Mechanics at all times, (the “Qualifying Criteria”)
- In the event, the Qualifying Criteria has not been satisfied or ceases to be satisfied at any time or any provision of the Terms is not complied with by a Participant, the Organizer shall be entitled at its discretion to disqualify such Participant(s) from the Contest.
- Notwithstanding any other clause in the Terms, the Organizer has the discretion to decide a Participant’s eligibility to participate and or eligibility to receive any benefits from the Contest.
- Each Participant agrees and warrants that all information about the Entry submitted to the Organizer is true, accurate, and complete in every respect (including but not limited to registration information, and information about its Entry). The Organizer reserves the right to verify any and all such information submitted to it. The Organizer shall have the right to disqualify any participant found to have given false or inaccurate information.
- Each Participant agrees and warrants that it has full capacity, authority, and legal right to agree to the Terms. Each participant further consents to the use and access to their Registration/Entry Information by the organizers for any legitimate purpose.
OBLIGATIONS OF THE PARTICIPANTS
- It is recognized by all parties that each Participant owns the copyright of the Concept and Character of their Entry and hereby is accepted and protected by the Organizer, in its capacity, as an official entry to the Contest.
- However, for the purpose of the Contest, each Participant agrees to grant to the Organizer a non-exclusive, royalty-free, worldwide, perpetual license, with the right to sublicense, reproduce, distribute, transmit, create derivative works of, publicly display and publicly perform any materials and other information (including, without limitation, ideas contained therein for new and or improved products and services) each Participant submits for the Contest, whether for profit or not, by all means and in any media now known such as but not limited to YouTube or hereafter developed. Each Participant also grants the Organizer the right (though it acknowledges and agrees that the Organizer shall not be obliged) to use each Participant’s name in connection with the submitted materials and other information as well as in connection with all advertising, marketing, soliciting of sponsors and promotional materials related thereto. Each Participant agrees that it shall have no recourse against any of the Organizer for any alleged or actual infringement or misappropriation of any proprietary right in its communications.
- Each Participant represents and warrants that, at the time of the entry, its Entry has not been submitted (in whole or in part) to any other publication, competition or public viewing, and undertakes not to submit its Entry to any social media sites at any time during the Contest. Thereafter, each Finalist further undertakes not to submit its Entry to any local or international competition until June 30, 2018.
- Each Finalist agrees and undertakes to attend or be represented during the Finals.
RIGHTS OF FIRST REFUSAL
- Be it known that the entry can be made into a series of media content (including, but not limited to, movies, web series, television series, and comics) and will be represented by DV Tech.
It is recognized by all parties that DV Tech holds the right of first refusal for the Entry’s future ventures (including, but not limited to, movie production, TV show production, web series, and merchandising). Before the Participants may offer or sell the Entry to a third party, the Participants shall first offer the Entry to DV Tech on the same terms and conditions as are offered by the third party. DV Tech shall have 30 days during which to accept the said offer. If DV Tech does not accept the offer within the period, the Participants would be free to accept the third-party offer. If the Participants do not enter into an agreement with the third party on said terms and conditions and close the transaction within 90 days, the Participants’ right to sell the Entry to the third party shall expire and the procedure described in this Section shall again be applicable.
INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS
- All intellectual property and proprietary rights in each Participant’s Entry shall belong solely to the Participant but subject to the provisions of Section 15 where the Organizer has the right to reproduce, distribute, transmit, create derivative works of, publicly display and publicly perform any materials and other information (including, without limitation, ideas contained therein for new and or improved products and services) each Participant submits for the Contest, whether for profit or not, by all means and in any media now known such as but not limited to YouTube or hereafter developed.
- Each Participant represents and warrants that they are the sole and exclusive owner of the intellectual property and proprietary rights in such Participant’s Entry and has the full right to grant to the Organizer and partners the license set out in Clause 15.
- All video footage in the Participant’s Entry must be the Participant’s original work or creation, and/or all music, video, and images, copies and texts, must be original, licensed, permitted, or copyright-free.
- It is understood that the entry registration and appropriate credits are given but should contain the following disclaimer (if needed) ---- Names, characters, businesses, places, events, and incidents in their Entry are either the products of the Participant’s imagination or used in a fictitious manner. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental.
- Any third party music or images used must be appropriately credited and acknowledged within the Entry and or accompanied with the appropriate third party permissions and clearances.
- It is the Participant’s responsibility to ensure that they do not infringe the copyright or intellectual property right of another person, group, or entity.
INDEMNITY AND LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
- To the maximum extent permitted by law, each Participant:
- Undertakes not to seek nor initiate any claim or cause of action whatsoever, including in contract, tort (including negligence), or equity, against the Organizer, their business partners, employees, and or related parties arising or in connection with this contest
- Each participant shall defend, hold harmless, and indemnify the Organizer, their business partners, employees, and or related parties for and against any and all claims, causes of action, demands, liabilities, losses, damages, penalties, interests, judgments, settlements, costs and expenses (including reasonable lawyers’ fees) that directly or indirectly arise out of or are based on: (i) the Participant’s conduct, activity, error and or omission, (ii) the Participant’s breach of this Terms and or any law, regulation or rule, and or (iii) the Participant’s actual or alleged infringement of any intellectual property rights or other rights of any person or company.
- Termination. The Organizer reserves the right to terminate the Contest (in whole or in respect of a specific Participant) at its discretion at any time, with immediate effect or on such other date as the Organizer may state, by giving written notice to the Participant(s) in accordance with Clause 32.
- Governing Law. The Terms and any dispute or claim arising out of or in connection with it or its subject matter (including the Contest), existence, negotiation, validity, termination, or enforceability (including non-contractual disputes or claims) shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the Philippines, and each Participant submits to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of the Philippines.
- Severability. Any part of any provision of the Terms that is invalid, unenforceable, or illegal shall be enforced as nearly as possible in accordance with its terms, but shall otherwise be deemed severed and shall not affect the enforceability of any other part of the Terms, which shall continue to be valid and enforceable to the fullest extent permitted by law.
- Third Party Rights. No person who is not a party to the Terms has any right to enforce or enjoy the benefit of any provision of the Terms.
- Force Majeure. The Organizer shall not be liable to the Participants or be deemed to be in breach of the Terms by reason of any delay in performing, or any failure to perform, any of its obligations, if the delay or failure was due to any event or circumstance the occurrence and the effect of which the Organizer is unable to prevent and avoid notwithstanding the exercise of reasonable foresight, diligence, and care on the part of the Organizer.
- Publicity. The Organizer reserves the right to use each Participant’s name, photographs, and any information relating to the Participant’s application that is not marked as confidential information, for marketing, solicitation, publicity purposes without requiring any further consent, incurring any fee, or providing any compensation regardless of any incidental income or profit that maybe derived therefrom.
- Decision. As regards any decision that the Organizer may make at its discretion, it shall not be required to provide any reason or explanation for its decision. Without prejudice to the foregoing, any reason or explanation provided by the Organizer is for information only, shall not be binding on the Organizer, and does not constitute any representation, warranty, or undertaking as to future action or otherwise.
- Amendment and Variation. The Organizer reserves the rights to amend, modify, add to, or otherwise vary the Terms from time to time by giving seven (7) days’ notice thereof to the Participants and any such amendment, modification, or supplement shall take effect as from the date specified in such notice. The Participants’ continued participation in the Contest shall be deemed to be conclusive acceptance of such amendments, modifications, or variations to the Terms and the Participants shall be bound by the Terms so amended.
- Waiver. No failure to exercise or enforce and no delay on the part of the Organizer in exercising or enforcing its rights under the Terms shall operate as a waiver thereof nor shall such failure or delay in any way prejudice or affect the rights of the Organizer at any time.
- Notices and Correspondence to Participants. All notices and communications by the Organizer to the Participants may be sent or dispatched by delivery, post, e-mail, SMS, or facsimile transmission or by otherwise making public such notice in any other such manner deemed appropriate by the Organizer. Any such notice, demand or communication addressed and so dispatched to the Participants shall be deemed to have been received by the Participants:
- In the case of dispatch by e-mail, SMS, or facsimile transmission or other instantaneous electronic communications, immediately upon transmission by the Organizer;
- In the case of dispatch by delivery to the address of the Participant, on the date, and at the time it was so delivered or left at that address; and
- In the case of dispatch by post:
- To any address in the Philippines, on the next day after it was posted by the Organizer; or
- To any address outside the Philippines, on the seventh (7th) day after it was posted by the Organizer.
- In the case of making public such notice in any other such manner deemed appropriate by the Organizer, on the date of the making public of such notice, as applicable.
- Notices and Correspondence to the Organizer. All notices and requests to the Organizer shall be in writing and emailed to [email protected] unless otherwise specified to the Participants. The Organizer shall be entitled to regard as ineffective and invalid any notice or request of the Participants the receipt of which has not been confirmed by the Organizer to such Participant.
- Personal Data. Each Participant agrees to the Organizer’s collection, use and disclosure of its authorized representatives’ personal data for the purposes of processing its registration for the Contest and facilitating the Contest. Each Participant further agrees to the Organizer contacting it or its authorized representatives by phone call, text messages or email, in relation the Contest.
- Confidential Information. Each Participant undertakes that it shall not:
- At any time during the Contest, and at any time after the Contest, disclose to any person any confidential information concerning the Organizer, Partners, Sponsors, and the Contest;
- Retain any confidential information after the conclusion of the Contest; and
- Commercialize any confidential information, unless otherwise approved by the Organizer in writing.
- Participants must notify the Organizer immediately if they are aware of any actual or potential breach of this clause. For the purposes of this clause, “confidential information” means, regardless of the form of disclosure or the medium used to store it, all information that the Organizer deems to be confidential
- Other Matters. The Entry is assumed to have been made in good faith and that the Participants shall be solely responsible to all talents, actors, workers, models, contractors, producers, cameramen, etc. that they will bring in to the contest without any claim of liability whatsoever against the Organizer.